Saturday, September 13, 2008

Thigh Therapy


Thigh muscle imbalances happen to the best of us. Long-time runners are more susceptible to this imbalance than are beginners because with a lot of running, the abductor muscles (on the outside of your upper thigh) get stronger while the adductors (on your inner thighs) aren’t worked all that much. The problem is that these muscles are supposed to rotate your hips through a full range of motion, so when the adductors become too weak, and the abductors have to do too much work and you get hip pain. If you have this problem, strengthen your adductors by sitting on a chair with a soccer ball between your thighs and squeezing the ball several times.

1 comment:

Debi said...

I have been running close to 14 years.I have been running longer distances to prepare for a half marathon.I ran 8 miles and started feeling some outter thigh pain on my left leg that I have never felt before.When I squeeze my knees together while sitting it hurts.I was wondering if you could tell me how long I will have to lay off running? I only have two more months to prepare for my marathon.I have laid off running for 1 week.It is still real sore.Looking forward to getting back! Love to run!