Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Jingle Bell Runs


The Jingle Bell Runs are not just mine anymore, even though the official name is Bill Rodgers Jingle Bell Run. They’re not races in the traditional sense, which is why they’re on my list.
Just the Facts
My brother, Charlie, and I hold a few of these in the Boston area every year on different dates in December. These races are low-key fun runs of a few miles that raise money for charities. The largest one, in downtown Boston, attracts more than 3,000 runners. For more information, call my store, Bill Rodgers Running Center, at (617) 723-5612.
Jinglin’ All the Way for Charity
I started holding these runs from my running store more than 20 years ago. At first, they weren’t fundraisers for charity, just low-key runs with a few friends around the Boston Common and other parts of the city. We’d even stop at the tree outside of the Prudential Center and sing Christmas carols. It was a nice way to end the year after being so serious about training and racing so much of the time.
Now, the runs are a lot more organized, but they’ve kept that low-key feel to them. And we’ve made them fundraisers for different disabled children’s groups. I’m a former special ed teacher, so this aspect means the world to me. I like it when runners can make the connection between doing this great thing for themselves, running, and helping others. Now, most big cities have similar affairs, and I think it’s great that more runners have the chance to participate in these noncompetitive events and simultaneously do something for others.

No comments: