Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Breathe Easily with Running

A key component of increased aerobic capacity is better lung function. Just as your heart becomes stronger with regular running, so do your lungs. They’re able to sustain a higher work load for a longer period of time. As your lungs become more efficient, you can take in more oxygen with each breath. That’s one of the reasons why you don’t breathe as hard climbing stairs when you’re fit—your lungs are better able to get oxygen to working muscles.

In terms of medical conditions, this better lung function means that people who have asthma not only can run, but should do some form of regular exercise. After all, when you improve your body’s capacity to take in and use oxygen, then what it considers stressful occurs at a much higher level of exertion. So an activity that previously might have triggered an asthma attack doesn’t as you become fitter. Also, because your breathing becomes smoother as you get fit, there’s less chance that your airways will become irritated.

The other big breathing-related benefit of running is one that I’ve mentioned before: It can help you to stop smoking. Remember what I said about how most people know that regular runners don’t have as many weight problems as sedentary people? Well, the same is true with respect to running and smoking. You just don’t see the two mix after awhile. I know from my experience that when I started running again, smoking became increasingly less attractive.

Yes, I still smoked when I started running again in the early ’70s. Nicotine is addictive, after all. But I knew that if I stuck with the running, my body would eventually get so fed up with me continuing to poison it that I would eventually be able to kick my habit. Take my word on it: As your system becomes cleaner and more efficient, it becomes more sensitive to things that damage it. Few things are more damaging to it than cigarettes.

No comments: