Thursday, May 8, 2008

Running Fashion and Function


A lot of runners think that what I’m saying here only applies to the hard-core, highmileage runners. “But I only run a few miles a day,” they say. “Why do I need special clothes for running?” You’ll see them hit the roads in the winter wearing their old cotton sweats and a parka.
Sure, you can run in that stuff. I certainly put in my share of miles in baggy cotton sweats, heavy coats, and long johns 25 and 30 years ago. But even though back then there wasn’t a whole lot of other options, I had the sense that there had to be a better way. I’ve tripped and fallen because of getting caught on my droopy drawers. And this stuff accumulates water and ice like nobody’s business. Back then, my gear always seemed heavy and cold.
So now, when there are better options, I don’t understand not taking advantage of them. You want to do whatever you can to make your running easier. Why wouldn’t you want to be as comfortable as possible when you run? I have a friend who I run with once in a while. In the winter, this guy likes to run without a hat, no matter how cold and wet it is. And remember, I live in New England, where it can get plenty cold and plenty wet. I’ve been on runs with him where his hair has had icicles forming on it because he was so cold and wet. I guess it’s a macho thing for him, but to me it just seems silly. Running can be difficult enough on its own. Do what you can to make it easier.
At the other end of the weather spectrum, when it’s really hot, you might wonder why you should wear a singlet. Nobody says you have to, but more men who used to go shirtless anytime it got above 70 degrees now wear singlets, even when the temperature is in the 90s.
Why? First, nearly all singlets are light in color. This color reflects the sun’s rays. Speaking of the sun, singlets provide burn protection. Runners can be as vain as anyone else, and a lot of men used to take pride in their bronzed torsos. But now we know so much more about how exposure to the sun can lead to skin cancer. I think that’s why more men are taking a little bit of cover under singlets. And let’s face it—some people are too self-conscious about their bodies to parade around town in only a pair of shorts.

No comments: